Janice Watkins Award Criteria
The award will be given to civil service employee whom:
- Exhibit a pleasant, warm demeanor, are very cooperative; are well-informed.
- Provide willing assistance to others.
- Perform their required duties completely with diligence and dedication.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Extend themselves beyond the performance of their regular duties and participate in campus and community activities or organizations that are beneficial to the well-being of the UIC campus such as: Chancellor's committees, hospitals, school, church volunteer, social service work, child care, violence prevention, food drives, helping the youth, elderly, mentoring programs, serves as a role model, mentor etc.
- Exhibit genuine care for their fellow human being.
- Respectfully reflect a positive image as an UIC ambassador.
- Be currently employed on campus at the time of the nomination.
- Be willing to accept the award.
- The nominee must be a full-time Civil Service employee at UIC for a minimum or the equivalent of two full time years at the time of the nomination. University Administration employees based in Chicago are eligible. Service time may include employment at the UIC regional Rockford campus. Employees located in Peoria are not eligible since the regional campus has its own award program.
- Previous winners of the Janice Watkins Award are not eligible to be nominated for the same award again.
- Any employee with disciplinary action on their University employment record within the last five years at the time of the nomination will not be eligible for the Janice Watkins Award.
A minimum of three supporting letters of recommendation are required for consideration of the award. For each supporting letter, please indicate in the letter your relationship to the nominee. These may include, but are not limited to the employee’s department head, coworker(s), supervisor, former supervisor, pastor or the leader of affiliated organization(s), etc. All letters of support and recommendations must be typed and signed. Nominations are not considered complete if the minimum three recommendation letters and a completed nomination form have not been submitted by 5:00pm on June 24, 2022. If you are sending by campus mail, please mail at least 3 days before the deadline on June 21, 2022. Please note applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
These nomination forms and letters of recommendation are given to a screening committee consisting of Civil Service employees to review for eligibility. When these are received, the committee selects a maximum of three candidates who are qualified to receive this award. They present the results to the Staff Advisory Council and Human Resources for review. The Council forwards to the Chancellor for final approval. The Chancellor presents the Janice Watkins Award for Distinguished Civil Service each year in November. Please contact email@example.com if you wish to be a 2022 Janice Watkins Award Screening Committee Member.